What is an Excavation Permit?
An excavation permit is a document that gives a person or organization permission to safely excavate or dig on a piece of property.
The permit will contain information such as the size of the area you’re allowed to excavate, the depth of the excavation, and the purpose of the excavation.
It’s important to complete an excavation permit before you begin excavation work, as it can help prevent damage to property, energy services and avoid legal problems.
When is an Excavation Permit Required?
An excavation permit should be completed if:
- There is a risk of contact with an underground essential service.
- There is a risk of collapse or engulfment due to unstable ground conditions.
- The planned depth of the excavation or trench is deemed high-risk.
General Safety Precautions with Excavations and Trenches
To prevent harm to people, the environment and equipment, thorough planning and preparation are essential before any excavation and trenching work commences. Information must be collected regarding facilities and underground (or other potentially concealed) services near the planned excavation or trench.
In addition, effective communications between regulatory agencies, service providers, utility companies, property owners and other third parties should be undertaken to ensure essential information is shared and the excavation or trenching activities are properly coordinated and performed.
Before any excavating or trenching work commencing, a risk management process should always be followed, with specific attention to:
- The job sequence and the appropriate type of equipment required.
- Consultation with workers and the provision of training, instruction and competencies.
- Communication requirements while working in or near the excavation or trench.
- The soil conditions and any engineering mechanisms to prevent unplanned collapse.
- Potential exposure to airborne contaminants or hazardous materials.
- Provision of safe access, egress and fall prevention controls.
- Street cut safety precautions.
- Prevention of unauthorized access.
- Identification and marking of any services, both overhead and underground.
- The process for removal of excavated materials (e.g. transport, plant or dewatering equipment systems, etc.).
- Possible low-visibility conditions and supplementary lighting.
- Implementation of emergency rescue procedures.
Contents of this Excavation Permit
There are provisions in this excavation permit template for:
- Safe work methods.
- A site plan identifying underground services.
- Isolation of electrical services, pipelines, communication cables, etc.
- Location of underground services and marked out.
- Controls to protect services during excavation.
- A barricade or another form of barricade around the excavation.
- Overhead power lines to be identified and risks controlled.
- Shoring, battering, benching by a competent person.
- The excavation area being properly ventilated.
- Access is available where work will be carried out.
- Emergency response procedures.
- Prevention of water ingress or erosion.
- All necessary personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Workers holding relevant certifications or competencies.
- Equipment is right for the work, checked, and in good working order?
Why Choose to Buy this Excavation Permit Template
- This 2-page excavation permit template can be used to verify that all reasonable steps have been taken to undertake excavation or trenching work safely.
- You can detail all the safety requirements that must be implemented for excavation or trenching work. There are provisions in the permit for it to be authorized by management so that the work can authoritatively proceed.
After purchasing this template you will be able to:
- Very easily edit and customize the template to create your own excavation permit.
- Apply your own style, format and brand to the permit.
- Use it in any industry or sector regardless of size or type of organization.
Availability and Use of this Excavation Permit Template
- This permit is accessible to you right now by clicking the ‘Buy Now’ button.
- The permit will be delivered to you in fully editable Microsoft Word format for immediate and full use in your business.
- There are no subscriptions, contracts or ongoing costs.
This Excavation Permit is 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
You may also need: